In 2010 The Seattle Times won a Pulitzer Prize for local reporting with their article, The slaying of four Lakewood police officers. In another display of excellent reportage, The Times has an ongoing investigation into Adult Family Homes (AFH) which conceal the abuse and neglect of some of our most vulnerable citizens, the elderly and infirm.
The series entitled “Seniors for Sale” is in 5 parts:
- The Owners – describes the home-care industry and how it exploits the elderly.
- The Homes – describes how an AFH can stay in business even though there has been a death and evidence of a pattern of neglect of elderly residents.
- The Exodus – describes how the State of Washington saves money placing the ill elderly in AFH instead of skilled nursing facilities where they can receive proper medical care.
- The Deaths – details cases of suspicious deaths where the deaths were not even investigated despite signs of abuse or neglect.
- The Hidden Victims – describes how AFHs hide neglect and how some health-care professionals, despite being Mandatory Reporters, fail to report the problem.
The Times has done a fantastic job in their series and they provide resources such as:
- How to report abuse
- Who to report abuse to
- How to choose an Adult Family Home
- How to check up on an Adult Family Home
If you suspect a loved one has been injured due to nursing home abuse or neglect, you should contact a personal injury attorney who specializes in these types of cases. At The Farber Law Group, we have more than 30 years experience representing nursing home abuse and neglect cases including those having to do with bedsores, broken bones and fractures among others. With our help, you may recover compensation for damages and, more importantly, can shed light on nursing homes and adult family homes that behave irresponsibly and criminally.
Investigative report finds that criminal charges for nursing home abuse may take years
Contact The Farber Law Group at 1-800-244-9087 or email@example.com to schedule a free and confidential case evaluation. We have offices in Seattle and Bellevue to assist you.