Seattle family suffers Carbon Monoxide poisoning on New Year’s Day

Three members of the same Seattle family were taken to University of Washington Hospital after they experienced symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning at their Seattle home. Seattle firefighters said that all three were in stable condition and that the source of the CO was a faulty furnace in the basement.

carbon monoxide poisoning lawyer washingtonCO poisoning can be deadly. Symptoms can include headache, dizziness, nausea, weakness, shortness of breath, confusion, loss of consciousness, and blurred vision. If a person is sleeping or intoxicated, they can succumb to the deadly fumes without realizing they are in danger. CO poisoning can result in non-reversible brain damage, heart damage and death.

We often see CO poisoning in the winter, especially when there is a power outage and people are attempting to stay warm by bringing an unapproved device like a barbecue or unvented space heater inside. In 2012, two Kent families — in two separate incidences — were sickened when they used charcoal barbecues in their homes for heat.

Any appliance which is fueled by either gas or wood can produce CO poisoning if they are not properly vented, maintained correctly and vented properly. These include charcoal grills, cooking stoves, water heaters, fireplaces, portable generators, furnaces and car or truck engines.

Children, elderly adults and unborn babies are more readily sickened or killed by CO poisoning.

How to Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Winter is now here and we usually have power outages at some point in the greater Seattle area. It’s important that you protect your family from becoming ill or having a tragedy of death. Here’s some tips to protect your family:

  • Purchase and install a Carbon Monoxide Detector.
  • Use gas appliances for their intended purposes. For example, never use an oven to heat a kitchen.
  • Never bring a charcoal-burning grill or fireplace indoors.
  • Have your furnace inspected by the gas company or a certified technician. Perform maintenance on your furnace including changing the filters at the prescribed intervals.
  • Clean your chimneys and flues annually and only burn firewood and never pressboard.
  • Open your chimney damper when using your fireplace.
  • Make sure any space heaters are UL approved.
  • Kerosene heaters should have proper ventilation and you should always refuel when they are cool and outdoors.
  • Never leave a car running in a garage.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Serious Injuries and Wrongful Death Attorney

The Farber Law Group represents client who have become seriously ill or had a family member die due to carbon monoxide poisoning including the following:

  • Improperly installed or defective furnace
  • Defective gas appliances
  • Defective propane heaters
  • Gas leaks caused by construction
  • Landlords failing to maintain heaters.

Contact Washington Carbon Monoxide Attorneys

If a family member has serious illness including heart damage, brain damage or an extensive hospital stay or if a family member has died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of neglience of another, The Farber Law Group is here to provide you a case evaluation. Protect your rights and don’t ignore the negligence of a building owner, plumber or manufacture.

Contact The Farber Law Group at 1-800-244-9087 or to schedule a free and confidential case evaluation. Our Bellevue office is here to assist you.

Related Posts:

Carbon monoxide poisoning a danger during power outages
7 hospitalized for carbon monoxide exposure in Seattle
Lawsuit claims keyless ignition factor in carbon monoxide death

Contact Information