Seattle City Light discovers more electrified light poles

Seattle City Light started inspecting light poles throughout the city after a Sammy the dog was killed in a Seattle electrocution accident. The Seattle Times reports that since the inspections began, Seattle City Light has found 21 hazardous streetlights that had the potential to shock or electrocute a person or a pet.

It appears that the cause of the electrical problems has several causes including Improper installation of equipment; Poor installation instructions; Deterioration of aging equipment; and Improper testing and maintenance of equipment.

Mark Voigtsberger of Power Quality Testing published a report “ANALYSIS OF PUBLIC SHOCK AND ELECTROCUTION CASES” after collecting and analyzing data of accidental public shock and electrocution accidents. Voigtsberger gathered his data searching through newspaper database between 1980 and the present. He found 54 electrocutions and 18 shocks due to contact with with public energized surfaces. founder Blair Sorrel contacted us after seeing our article about Sammy’s electrocution and asked us to disseminate the following information so that you can protect yourself, pedestrians, children and pets from outdoor shockings or electrocution.

How to Slay an Invisible Danger
Blair Sorrel, Founder
212-877-2104 Contact voltage is a chronic hidden hazard that can readily victimize an unsuspecting dog, walker, or both. No dog lover could possibly observe a more horrifying scene than witnessing his beloved pet instantaneously maimed or tragically electrocuted. When you exercise your pooch, please exercise greater prudence. Common outdoor electrical and metal fixtures may shock or even kill your vulnerable dog. And depending upon the current, the walker will be bitten and like poor Aric Roman, suffer permanently. But you can, indeed, self-protect.
Just start to adopt this simple strategy – EYEBALL THE BLOCK, AND AVOID A SHOCK. Take a few seconds and make your trajectory toward generally safer, free standing, non-conductive surfaces, ie., plastic, wood, cardboard. Intuit your dog’s cues and if it’s resistant, change directions. Work site perimeters may be live so try to elude them. If necessary, switch sides of the street or your hands when leading to skirt hazards. If you traverse the same route, you may memorize locations of potential dangers. Carry your pooch when in doubt. Consider indoor restroom products like PottyPark when external conditions are chancy or RopeNGo’s hardware-free leash and harness. And don’t rely on dog booties as a palliative as they will actually put your pet at even greater risk since the dog can’t tell you they’re leaking! To learn to more, please see StreetZaps. A safer walk is yours year round if you are willing to open to your eyes and mind to it.

This information is provided by Washington Injury Attorney blog, a service of The Farber Law Group. We represent people who have been seriously injured due to the negligence of another person or entity and the family of those who have died with their wrongful death claims.

Related Posts:

Second Seattle street light found to pose electrocution hazard

Woman whose dog was electrocuted plans to file negligence claim against Seattle City Light

Female electrician electrocuted at South Seattle container site

Contact The Farber Law Group at 1-800-244-9087 or to schedule a free and confidential case evaluation. We have offices in Seattle and Bellevue to assist you.

Contact Information