A woman from North Central Washington has been awarded $30 million after she was seriously injured while surgeons at Wenatchee Valley Medical Center were removing polyps from her vocal cord reports The Wenatchee World.
Becky S. Anderson, 55, suffered serious burn injuries to her throat during laser surgery. Her injuries were so severe that she was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle and has undergone nearly 100 surgeries and is on a ventilator and requires nursing care.
Central Washington Hospital settled Anderson’s malpractice claim for $12 million. King County Superior Court awarded $7.65 again Wenatchee Valley Medical Center and $4.35 million against Wenatchee Anesthesia Associates.
Confluence Health CEO Dr. Peter Rutherford apologized publically for the accident. Quality Medical Directory , Dr. Randal Moseley, of Confluence Health cited several things that went wrong before the fire which he called a “catastrophic event.”
Surgical Malpractice Lawsuits
A surgeon may be held liable for a mistake related to a surgery. Surgical malpractice can be attributed to the surgeon, the anesthesiologists, nurses or other medical professionals that care for the patient. For a successful medical malpractice claim, the patient must prove that that the medical professional lacked the standard of care and their professional conduct directly caused an injury.
At The Farber Law Group, we have seen many times of medical negligence that resulted in a malpractice lawsuit. These cases include:
- Wrong site error — in which a surgeon mistakenly operates on the wrong side or on the wrong organ. For example, operating on the left eye instead of the right.
- Medication error — in which a patient is administered the wrong dosage of medication. This type of mistake can result in death.
- Surgery on wrong patient — in which a surgeon mistakenly performs surgery on the wrong patient.
- Sponge or other foreign object left in the patient.
- Burn caused by medical equipment.
- Treatment for misdiagnosis.
In some cases proving surgery malpractice is very difficult. That’s when an experienced trial lawyer can assist you. The Farber Law Group has more that 40 years experience representing those injured by medical malpractice and their families. Contact us for a free and confidential case evaluation.