Disfigured man settles with Washington prison in “lost penis case” malpractice

Charlie Manning, 61, who lost his penis and testicle to a flesh eating bacteria while he was in prison has received a $300,000 medical malpractice settlement from the State of Washington. According to The Seattle Times, Manning, who was in prison in 2004 for threatening a neighbor and stealing the man’s pistol in a “drunken argument”, developed an infected hemorrhoid and when he went to the prison doctor, he was misdiagnosed with an allergic reaction to cold medicine so his treatment was delayed.

When Manning was finally taken to Grays Harbor Community Hospital in Aberdeen, he was found to have necrotizing fascitis, also called “flesh-eating bacteria”. By the time he was air-lifted to Harborview Medical center in Seattle, the bacteria had infiltrated his entire pelvic region. He had to undergo extensive mutilating surgery which necessitated the removal of his penis and testicle. He later had his penis re-constructed with tissue from another area of his body.

In the suit, Manning claimed that that Dr. Muhammad A. Khursid, head physician at Stafford Creek, misdiagnosed his infection, allowing the infection to spread.

Manning’s lawyer said he was disappointed at the settlement amount his client received in the settlement but he said he understands Manning’s desire to move on with his life and avoid a lengthy legal battle.

This information was brought to you by Washington Injury Attorney blog, a service of The Farber Law Group. We represent patients who have been the victims of medical malpractice . Misdiagnosis is a medical error in which a physician or laboratory provide an inaccurate or incomplete diagnosis and/or treatment of a disease, injury, infection or other illness. It is estimated that between 50 and 100 thousand unnecessary deaths are attributed to medical errors every year.

In a case of a patient like Manning, who was incarcerated at the time of his illness, he did not have the means of obtaining a second opinion from another independent practitioner.

If something similar has happened to you — if you or a loved one has suffered severe injury because of a misdiagnosis or malpractice, you should contact a personal injury attorney who will fight to help you recover fair and just compensation for your injuries including pain and suffering.

Contact The Farber Law Group today for a free and confidential case evaluation.

Contact Information