CPSC looks at table saw rules in wake of 40,000 injury accidents a year

The Consumer Product Safety Commission is considering toughening the standards for table saws in the wake of 40,000 injury accidents per year which includes approximately 4,000 amputations.

Table saw injuries often involve the fingers or the hands but they can also involve the forearm and elbow. Table saw accidents often involve damage to muscles, tendons, nerves and ligaments.
table saw accidents
Consumer advocates are calling for safety standards for table and bench saws while table saw manufacturers object to increased rules because it will increase the cost of the product.

According to the CPSC, 80% of table saw accidents occur at home while the remaining 20% occur in woodworking classes and in construction accidents.

Consumer groups want manufacturers to use a technology called SawStop which is a detection system that will stop the blade whenever it comes into contact with human skin. Demonstrations of the SawStop technology is impressive as the saw stops in 5 milliseconds after accidental contact. Videos on YouTube showing saws with the SawStop technology stopping a saw blade when it comes into contact with a hot dog. See a video here.

In 1965, Ralph Nader published a book, Unsafe at Any Speed: The Designed-In Dangers of the American Automobile, which pioneered the inclusion of safety features in automobiles despite the resistance by car manufacturers because they didn’t want to spend the money. We see a parallel with here with the table saw manufacturers. Hopefully, the table saw manufacturers will improve their products because 40,000 injury accidents are too many
This information is provided by Washington Injury Attorney blog, a service of The Farber Law Group. We represent people who have been seriously injured in construction accidents and the family of those killed. We also represent people with their product liability claims.

Consumer group calls for action to make table saws safer
Seattle PI.com By Rita R. Robison, Consumer Spec
Related Posts:

Consumer Product Safety Commission safety message for holiday toy buying

Great bodily harm

Man sues Home Depot and manufacturer of riding lawnmower for injuries

Contact The Farber Law Group at 1-800-244-9087 or attorney@hgfarber.com to schedule a free and confidential case evaluation. We have offices in Seattle and Bellevue to assist you.

Contact Information