The Office of the Washington State Fire Marshal released a bulletin reminding Washington residents to take steps to avoid home electrical fires. According to the bulletin, there are 280 fire fatalities every year due to residential fires. An estimated 26,000 fires annually results in more than $1 billion in property loss.
Faulty wiring and broken electrical appliances can result in electrical shock injury or residential fires which can both result in death.
The Fire Marshall provides the following safety tips to avoid an electrical fire or shock:
- Replace worn or damaged appliance cords. Many fires start at appliance cords, receptacles and switches. If a frayed cord is near a curtain, rug or other combustible surface, a fire can start.
- Only purchase appliances that have been approved by a UL testing lab.
- Plug appliances directly into a wall outlet instead of an extension cord. If you use an extension cord, be sure to use those with surge protectors.
- Unplug appliances when you are not using them.
- Discontinue using appliances that smoke or shock you when you use them.
- Use lightbulbs of the wattage recommended for the socket you are placing them into. A lightbulb with too high of a wattage for a lamp or light fixture is a common cause of electrical fires.
- Hire licensed electricians for home electrical work. Faulty and outdated wiring can cause electrical fires.
- Avoid the use of extension cords except for occasional use. Appliances should never be plugged in to extension cord.
What UL (Underwriters Laboratories) Listing Means
Underwriters Laboratories (UL) is a safety consulting company which tests and provides safety analysis of Look for UL Listing tags on electrical appliances when you purchase them. UL Listing means that UL has tested a representative number of the products to determine that it meets nationally recognized Standards for Safety. All kinds of household and electrical appliances including household cooking, lamps, batteries and food serving appliances are tested.
Christmas Tree Fires
Christmas tree fires are not common but when they do occur, they are most likely to occur after Christmas than before. That reason is that trees dry out after a few weeks. So, it is important to keep your tree moist and discard it once it dries out.
Keep your family safe and avoid house fires and burn injuries this.
This information is provided by Washington Injury Attorney blog, a service of The Farber Law Group. We represent people who have been seriously injured by defective products and those who have suffered burn injuries.