The Pacific Northwest has experienced a severe storm this past week and The Seattle Times reports that 191,000 Puget Sound Energy power customers are without power.
During times of power outages, there are always several incidences of people suffering carbon monoxide poisoning or death.
In Kent, Washington, in two separate incidences, two families were hospitalized after becoming ill from carbon monoxide poisoning. In both cases, the families were using charcoal barbecues for heat according to KOMO News.
Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that is colorless and odorless and when people are exposed to it without sufficient proper ventilation they are unable to absorb oxygen and they become ill with symptoms what include confusion, headaches, chest pains, confusion, shortness of breath, vomiting, drowsiness and flu-like symptoms. With higher exposure levels victims can experience central nervous system damage, heart problems and even death.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is the number one cause of accidental poisoning deaths every year. According to the Centers for Disease Control, 500 people die and more than 15,000 are treated in hospital ER rooms every year due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide poisoning cases arise during power outages when people try to warm their homes with alternate methods including portable stoves, barbecues and generators.
Of course it doesn’t have to be the middle of a power outage for carbon monoxide poisoning occur. Faulty appliances, unventilated heaters, clogged chimneys and cars left running in a garage can all lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Injury Lawsuits
In some cases, those who have been poisoned by carbon monoxide may have a potential lawsuit. If it can be proven that that a person, landlord, builder or company failed to exercise reasonable care and that the poisoning could have been prevented, then you may have a basis for a lawsuit.
This information is provided by Washington Injury Attorney blog, a service of The Farber Law Group. We represent people who have been seriously injured due to the negligence of another.
Lawsuit claims keyless ignition factor in carbon monoxide death
Federal Way family treated for possible carbon monoxide poisoning Saturday
Washington Fire Marshal warns of carbon monoxide danger