The Washington State Fire Marshal, Esther Hernandez, reports that last year there were 133 home fires caused by candles in the state. Christmas Day, Christmas Day, Christmas Eve, New Year’s Day and New Year’s Eve are the top four days for home fires caused by candles. So far in 2009 there have already been 63 candle-caused fires in the state.
State Fire Marshal Mike Matlick provides the following information about the causes of home fires caused by candles and some provides some safety tips:
- Have an adult supervising the flame
- Don’t fall asleep when using candles as that is a factor in 26% candle fire deaths
- Don’t use candles in sleeping areas as 40% of home candle fires originate in bedrooms
- Place candles in sturdy and fireproof metal, glass or ceramic holders
- Do not place candles where they can be easily knocked over
- Keep candles out of reach of small children
- Do not put candles on Christmas Tree
See the State Fire Marshall web-site for more candle safety information.
This information is provided by Washington Injury Attorney blog, a service of The Farber Law Group. We represent people who have suffered serious burn injuries due to the negligence of another. Burn injuries are the fifth leading cause of accidental or preventable death.