Despite the fact that two pedestrians have been struck and killed by bicyclists in the past month in New York City, a study of three busy intersections found nearly 80% of bicyclists are still running red lights.
According to the New York Post, a bicyclist was seen riding through a red light at the same Central Park intersection where a Connecticut woman was struck and killed just a week ago. See Bicyclist behavior in the news after pedestrian struck and killed.
New York Police have been ticketing bicyclists at the rate of 608 this year but still, bad behavior still remains. Said one cyclist about red lights, “I treat them like they’re stop signs. Why would I just sit there at a red light?”
Bicyclists In Seattle
Bicycle commuting is on the rise in Seattle and Seattle has several initiatives to make streets safer and friendlier to bicyclists and pedestrians. Bicyclists need to be aware of the danger posed to them by street hazards and by automobiles and the hazard they post to pedestrians.
Frequent Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Bicyclists are required to obey the same laws as motorists in Washington state. Accidents tend to happen when either the bicyclist or the driver breaks a fuel. Common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Bicyclist riding against traffic, facing traffic rather than in the same direction as traffic.
- Bicyclist failure to stop at a stop sign or red light.
- Bicyclist jumping a red light.
- Bicyclist darting between moving or stopped vehicles or bicyclist darting between pedestrians.
- Bicyclist riding on sidewalks and striking passengers.
- Bicyclists speeding in areas where people are walking.
- Driver turning in front of a bicyclist.
- Driver running a red light or stop sign.
- Driver under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Common Bicycling Accident Injuries
When a bicyclist collides with a motor vehicle, the bicyclists almost always sufferies injuries ranging from minor scrapes and bruises to serious injuries including traumatic brain injury or broken bones.
Washington Bicycle Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a bicycle accident, The Farber Law Group can speak with you about your legal rights. If a loved one has been killed, our personal injury attorneys can consult with out about bringing a wrongful death lawsuit.