7 hospitalized for carbon monoxide exposure in Seattle

carbon_monoxide2.jpgTwo men are in critical condition and five other people, including a Seattle police officer, were taken to Harborview Medical Center for symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

According to the SPD Blotter, a car that was left running in a garage was the source of the carbon monoxide. The two critically injured men were in the condo above the garage. Other victims were in nearby units and the police officer was responding to a call.

Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

In light of this article and with winter on its way, The Farber Law Group wanted to remind people of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and safety precautions that one can take. In Washington state, we often see cases of carbon monoxide poisoning during winter months when there are power outages and people are using charcoal grills or their oven to heat their home or apartment. The other time when we see carbon monoxide poisoning is in boating during the summer months.

Unfortunately, hundreds of people suffer accidental death every year due to carbon monoxide poisoning and even more are sickened. Babies in the womb, babies, people with respiratory illnesses and the elderly are the most vulnerable to carbon monoxide exposure.

Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas which is difficult to detect because it has no color, smell and it is odorless.

Carbon monoxide is created when burning gas, kerosene, wood, oil or charcoal or using devices that uses these fuels.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Symptoms of CO poisoning include:

  • headaches
  • dizziness
  • mental confusion
  • nausea
  • fainting
  • shortness of breath
  • flu-like symptoms

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • Never leave a car idling in the garage even if your garage door is open as fumes can get into your home.
  • Do not leave a gas oven to provide heating for your house.
  • Never use a charcoal grill inside for heating or cooking.
  • Make sure your heater and other gas appliances are properly vented.
  • Don’t use gas powered engines including mowers, snow blowers, chain saws or generators in enclosed spaces such as a garage.
  • Do use a carbon monoxide detector but do not use it as a replacement for proper venting nor lull you into a false sense of security.

Washington Carbon Monoxide Injury Attorney

If you or a loved one has been seriously ill due to carbon monoxide or chemical poisoning caused by the negligence of another or due to a defective product, you should contact a experienced personal injury attorney who can help you file a claim for your damages. If you are a surviving family member, you may be entitled to file a wrongful death claim on behalf of your deceased loved one.

Contact us today for a free and confidential case evaluation.

Contact The Farber Law Group at 1-800-244-9087 or attorney@hgfarber.com to schedule a free and confidential case evaluation. Our Bellevue office is here to assist you.

Read more about carbon monoxide poisoning
Federal Way family treated for possible carbon monoxide poisoning Saturday
Lawsuit claims keyless ignition factor in carbon monoxide death
Carbon monoxide poisoning a danger during power outages