Boy suffers head injury when TV falls at motel

A one-year-old boy suffered a serious head injury when a TV fell off of a motel room dresser and fell on top of him.

According to a report on Fox news, the boy was playing with his brothers in their room when they bumped a dresser that the TV was on and it toppled on him. The boy is in critical condition at Primary Children’s Medical Center in Salt Lake.

TV tip-over accidents are more common than one might think. The Consuper Product Safety Commission estimates that at least 180 people were killed between 2000 and 2006 when furniture or TV toppled over them. In 2006 alone, there were 16,300 injuries to children under the age of six in tip-over accidents. In 2008, the CPSC published Instability and Tipover of Appliances, Furniture and Televisions: Estimated injuries and Reported Fatalities. The CPSC children often suffer catastrophic brain injuries or are suffocated in these accidents.

The CPSC recommends that TVs and furniture be secured to the wall to avoid tipover accidents as these accidents typically occur when children climb onto furniture or appliances or when a TV is perched on a piece of furniture that was not designed for it.

This information is provided by Washington Injury Attorney blog, a service of The Farber Law Group. We represent people who have been seriously injured in slip, trip and fall accidents and the family of those who have been killed.

Related Posts:

Toddler killed when television and dresser topples over

Boy dies from brain injury caused by TV that fell on him

Macys fined $750K for selling clothing with drawstrings in children’s department

Contact The Farber Law Group at 1-800-244-9087 or attorney@hgfarber.com to schedule a free and confidential case evaluation. We have offices in Seattle and Bellevue to assist you.