In August 2010, DePuy Orthopaedics recalled the ASR Resurfacing ad XL hip implant systems in the United States. In October 2010, the British Hip Society and the British Orthopaedic Association sent Orthopedic surgeons throughout Britain advice on how to care for hip replacement patients with the recalled components.
The letter informed surgeons that all patients with recalled components should be informed that their hip implant has been recalled and that the patient needs close clinical follow up and surveillance. The letter made the following recommendations:
- Patients should have a follow up appointment at least annually for the rest of their lives.
- Patients with worsening pain or deteriorating mobility associated with the hip, should be reviewed quickly.
- For patients with no presenting symptoms such as pain but with x-rays that show the hip components with high wear, follow up should be more closely.
- For patients with painful implants, the surgeon should determine what is causing the pain and rule out infection, loosening of components, fracture, osteonecrosis, soft tissue impingement, adnexae or pain referred from other areas of the body.
- Blood tests should be done to test for the presence of metals including Cobalt and Chromium which could indicate metal-on-metal wearing of the hip implant. Elevated levels of above 7ppb (ug/l or ng/ml) may be worrisome. The surgeon should be concerned when the levels are above this number.
- Besides x-rays, MRI with metal artefact reduction sequences (MARS) or ultrasound should be performed. These will provide the physician if fluid or pseudotumors are around the hip.
If you or a loved one has one of the recalled DePuy hip implants, make sure you are getting the proper medical care. At The Farber Law Group, we have a keen interest in supporting the victims of DePuy’s recall. Herb Farber, our firm’s founder, is himself a hip implant patient and will work tirelessly on behalf of hip implant patients.
Contact at us Toll Free at 1-800-244-9087.
Should I sign a Medical Release Form?
DePuy hip implant recall shows the need for National Joint Registry in the U.S.
Contact The Farber Law Group at 1-800-244-9087 or email@example.com to schedule a free and confidential case evaluation. We have offices in Seattle and Bellevue to assist you.