The Centers for Disease Control reports that more than 1,500 people have become ill with salmonella food poisoning this summer after eating contaminated eggs. The CDC had a massive egg recall after cases of Salmonella Enteritidis spiked. Usually, the CDC sees approximately 1,000 cases of salmonella in the summer, but this year, the number shot up to 2,600 because of the egg contamination.
Consumers, however, can reduce their risk of salmonella illness by taking some precautions. One cannot tell by looking at an egg if it is contaminated or not and the bacterium can be in both the inside and outside of the egg.
Eggs involved in the latest recall include those that were packaged with the following labels: Sunny Farms, Sunny Meadow, Farm Fresh, Lund, and Mountain Dairy.
Tips to reduce Salmonella Enteritidis infection:
- Keep eggs adequately refrigerated which keeps any bacteria that might be present from multiplying. Proper refrigeration temperature is less than 45 degrees.
- Throw away any cracked or dirty eggs.
- Thoroughly cook eggs until both the egg white and yolk are firm.
- Eat eggs promptly after cooking.
- Promptly refrigerate any foods containing eggs.
- Do not eat raw eggs.
- Avoid dishes in restaurants that have raw or runny eggs including Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise sauce or Caesar salad with a dressing made of raw eggs.
- Young children and elderly adults or those people with compromised immune systems should avoid eating raw or under cooked eggs.
Symptoms of food poisoning can be mild or severe. For healthy adults, food borne illness runs its course in a few days or weeks. However, in the very young, the frail elderly or people with compromised immune symptoms, food poisoning can result in dehydration, hospitalization or even death.
This information is provided by Washington Injury Attorney blog, a service of The Farber Law Group. We represent people with serious illness due to food contamination in the greater Seattle – Tacoma – Bellevue metropolitan area and the families of those killed. With our help, you may be able to recover compensation for your damages which may include medical costs, loss of wages and for pain and suffering.
Nestlé recalls cookie dough after 5 sickened by E-coli in Washington State
Contact The Farber Law Group at 1-800-244-9087 or email@example.com to schedule a free and confidential case evaluation. We have offices in Seattle and Bellevue to assist you.
For current articles relating to motor vehicle accidents, see Seattle Car Accident Lawyer blog, which is also presented by The Farber Law Group