Washington State Department of Early Learning has revoked the license of Hazel Dell in-home daycare in Vancouver, Washington where four-year-old Ronan Wilson contracted E-coli in April and subsequently died reports The Seattle Times.
Several children and adults all became ill because of the E-coli O157:H7 bacteria they contracted at the daycare. Ronan was sickened and hospitalized for about a week before he died.
Diane and Larry Fletch had operated Hazel Dell for more than 20 years. Larry Fletch said that he and his wife will appeal the state’s decision.
E-coli O157:H7 is one of the most deadly forms of the E-coli bacteria. It can be spread from undercooked meat, salamis or other cured meats, contaminated raw vegetables, or in unpasteurized milk or fruit juice. It can be passed from person-to-person when proper hand washing protocol is not followed after using the bathroom or changing a diaper.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, there are approximately 60 deaths every year in the United States attributed to E-coli O157:H7.
This information is provided by Washington Injury Attorney blog, a service of The Farber Law Group. We represent people who have developed serious illness due to food borne disease including hemolytic-uremic syndrome (HUS).
The Farber Law Group has more than 30 years experience in investigating and reviewing claims for serious injuries and illness sustained as a result of food poisoning which could have been prevented. If you, a friend or family member have been diagnosed with hemolytic-uremic syndrome (HUS), kidney damage or other serious injury as a result of E-coli food contamination, contact us for a free case evaluation.