If you are planning a surgery any time soon, you might want data on how safe the hospital is where your surgeon practices. An article published in the Seattle PI.com entitled “How safe are Washington hospitals?” looks at a study by Niagara Health Quality Coalition on data assembled by Hearst Newspapers.
The study compares hospitals by looking at various factors including post-operative infections, MRSA infections, numbers of surgeries of a certain type, number of post-operative hip fractures, and mortality rates. This data is collected by Washington State Department of Health on all patients at all hospitals. Comparing the hospital data is not an easy task as data as each hospital may enter their data in a different fashion.
You will want to read the full study on the PI web-site. Highlights include:
Honor roll hospitals
- Virginia Mason in Seattle
- Evergreen Hospital Medical Center in Kirkland
- Overlake Hospital Medical Center in Seattle
- Providence St. Mary Medical Center in Walla Walla
- Southwest Washington Medical Center in Vancouver
Hospitals on the watch list:
- Tacoma General
- Enumclaw Regional in Enumclaw
- Cascade Valley Hospital in Arlington
- Deaconess Medical Center in Spokane
- Harborview Medical Center in Seattle
- Valley Hospital and Medical Center in Spokane Valley
This information is provided by Washington Injury Attorney blog, a service of The Farber Law Group. We are a personal injury attorney firm, representing medical malpractice victims and their families.
Analysis: How safe are Washington hospitals?
By ERIC NALDER HEARST NEWSPAPERS