A major cause of home fires during the winter is when people use alternative sources of home heating. People often use alternative sources when fuel prices are high, during power outages and when they need extra warmth in certain areas of their home. However, often alternative sources of heat can contribute to a home fire.
Alternative Heat Source Safety Tips
Following are some safety tips when using alternative heat sources in your home:
- Make sure the heater is cleaned and has an automatic shut off if the heater is knocked over.
- Be sure to vent the room and use the right fuel as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Store fuel in metal containers in stoarge areas outside of the residence.
- Refuel the appliance outside.
Fireplaces & Woodstoves
- Make sure woodstoves are installed by professionals and have proper clearance from combustibule surfaces
- Clean chimneys annually.
- Do not use accellerants to start a fire.
- Use a fireplace screen in front of the fireplace opening.
- Don’t use too much paper in a fireplace.
- Extinguish a fire before you go to bed.
- Do not close the damper when hot ashes are in the fireplace.