Car accidents, sporting accidents, a fall, or a bumping the head at the local hardware store are all accidents which can cause a brain injury and change how the brain works. A minor car accident, a nursing home patient falling out of bed, or a young soccer player heading a ball can may seem not to be serious accidents but they can result in life-altering brain injuries or even death.
What to look for after an accident:
- Monitor the accident victim — If a person has been in an accident where they have hit their head or their head has been bumped, even if they have never become unconscious, you should monitor them.
- Dizziness, headache, confused thinking and vomiting are warning signs — if the accident victim displays any of these symptoms, take them to the emergency room immediately.
- Monitor changes in condition — if the accident victim’s symptoms change — a head ache worsens, they become sleepy or any other change in their behavior within 12 hours of their head injury, they may have a brain bleed and they should be taken to the emergency room immediately.
- Medication — Be more aware if the person is on blood thinner medication.
- Senior Citizens — Be more vigilant if the accident victim is elderly or frail.
- Monitor young athletes.
- Take the patient to a trauma center — In the greater Seattle area and Washington State, Harborview Medical Center in Seattle is the place where victims of serious accidents are taken. Harborview has a neurosurgeon on call which is really important when a person has a head injury and time can be of the essence.
For more information:
This information is provided by Washington Injury Attorney blog, a service of The Farber Law Group. We represent people who have serious injuries such as traumatic brain injuries or spinal cord damages due to car accidents, construction accidents, slip, trip and fall accidents and nursing home neglect.
If you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic brain injury due to the negligence of another person, you need a personal injury attorney who understands your injuries and will work to obtain the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Contact The Farber Law Group. We have more than 30 years experience representing accident victims and their families. We have offices in Seattle and Bellevue to assist you.