With warmer weather this weekend in Western Washington, boaters will likely be out on Lake Washington, Lake Sammamish, Lake Chelan and the waters of the Puget Sound. The warm weather coincides with the National Safe Boating Week (NSBW) which is designated from May 17-23, 2008. The message of the campaign is boating safety and encourage people to wear personal flotation devices (PFDs), or life jackets.
In Washington state there are approximately 20-30 boating accident fatalities and 4,000 injuries from watercraft mishaps a year. Accidents can happen when operating a jetski, a motor boat or a sailboat.
The National Safe Boating Week posts many local events sponsored by various organizations including the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary. These events include:
- May 3 – Vessel Safety Check – Bellingham
- May 10 – 3rd Annual Boater’s Fair – BI Commons & City Dock
- May 17 – US Power Squadron Boating Course – Lacey
- May 17 – Boating Safety Course – Bellingham
- May 17 – Safe Boating Week – Lake Chelan Boat Club, Manson
- June 14 – Boating Safety Course – Squalicum Yacht Club, Bellingham
- September 13 – Boating Safety Course – Squalicum Yacht Club, Bellingham
(Click here for more details http://www.safeboatingcampaign.com/events/view.asp)
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured due to a boating accident, contact The Farber Law Group. We are experienced in maritime law and Washington State laws as they relate to injuries you have suffered. In the case of a fatal boating accident the family is entitled to compensation for the loss of a loved one. Contact us today for a free case consultation.