Protect your family from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning

carbon monoxide death lawyerWe just read a tragic story by KOMO News about twin brothers in their 80’s who died of carbon monoxide poisoning while working on an antique car in the garage at one of their homes.

The death of William Schofield and Walter Schoenfield comes but days after a
Carbon monoxide leak at a Long Island mall killed a restaurant managers and seriously injured a restaurant employee. In all 26 people had to be treated from exposure to carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is a silent killer and is the leading cause poisoning death. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 400 Americans die from accidental carbon monoide poisoning every year.

Carbon monoxide is a odorless and colorless gas which is tasteless and at first exposure is non-irritating. Because of these characteristics carbon monoxide might not be detected until people become ill unless there is a carbon monoxide detector present.

State fire codes do not require carbon monoxide detectors except in places where people sleep.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include:

  • Confusion
  • Headaches
  • Vertigo
  • Flu-like symptoms
  • Shortness of breath
  • Lightheadedness

At higher levels of the gas, carbon monoxide can cause a person to lose consciousness and can prove fatal.

In Washington state, we have seen incidents of carbon monoxide during period during power outages and people try to heat their houses with their oven or bring a barbecue in the house to cook.

Washington Accident Attorney: Tips to Prevent Accidental Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

To prevent accidental death in your own home or business, follow these tips:

  • Make sure furnaces and appliances are installed correctly including proper venting.
  • Make sure chimney flues are not blocked.
  • Use precaution when service fuel-burning appliances.
  • Do not use portable generators or gasoline engine-powered tools in an enclosed space.
  • Do not run a car in a garage, even with the garage door open.
  • Do not burn charcoal inside a home.
  • Do not use gas powered appliances such as an oven to heat your home.
  • Install CO alarms in hallways and in sleeping areas of your home.

This information is provided by Washington Injury Attorney blog, a service of The Farber Law Group. We represent people who have become ill due to carbon monoxide poisoning due to defective products or through the negligence of another. We also assist families with their wrongful death lawsuits as a result of losing a family member due to a negligent or wrongful act.

Contact The Farber Law Group at 1-800-244-9087 or attorney@hgfarber.com to schedule a free and confidential case evaluation. Our Bellevue office is here to assist you.

Related Posts:

7 hospitalized for carbon monoxide exposure in Seattle
Carbon monoxide poisoning a danger during power outages
Washington Fire Marshal warns of carbon monoxide danger