Warning: Keep single-use laundry packets out of reach of children
The Wall Street Journal reports that a 7-month old Florida boys has died after ingesting a All Mighty Pacs Free & Clear single load laundry detergent pack.
Detergent laundry packets have been one of the newest laundry cleaning innovations. The small packets of highly concentrated laundry detergent are convenient and prevent detergent waste. However, there have been reports that babies and toddlers have been poisoned after accidentally ingesting the product.
According to the National Poison Data System, 5,753 children, ages five and younger have been exposed to the laundry packets between January 1 and July 31 of this year. In 2012, there were 6,231 reports of accidental exposures. As the product becomes more popular, we may see the number of children injured increase. Therefore, it is imperative that parents and caregivers be warned of the danger and manufacturers warn people of the risks.
According to Poison Control centers, ingesting the product or coming into contact can cause vomiting, wheezing and gasping and serious breathing problems. Some children have even required ventilators to help them breathe. Other children have suffered eye injuries after the concentrated detergent got into their eyes.
The packets seems to be especially attractive to children because some are colored brightly and they are squishy and fun to play with them. Some of the laundry packets/pods are packagaged in colorful packs that might resemble toys or candy.
Poison control centers are warning parents of the dangers of these laundry packets.
- Keep detergents locked up and out of reach of small children.
- Follow product instructions.
- Contact your Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 if you suspect your child has been in contact with these detergent packets.
This information is provided by Washington Injury Attorney blog, a service of The Farber Law Group. Our product liability lawyer is currently reviewing laundry detergent pack poisoning lawsuits for families who have had children who have been seriously injured after ingesting the product or after getting it into their eyes.
If your child suffered one of the following symptoms after coming into contact with these products, you may be seeking counsel of a product liability attorney:
- loss of consciousness
- respiratory distress
- gastrointestinal damages
- vision loss
CPCS releases dangerous toys report
Installing child safety seats for safety's sake
Baby strollers recalled after finger amputations and laceration injuries